Windows Services

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Thu Dec 15 06:06:48 EST 2005

Mondal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Peter, now I know how to control an *existing* Windows
> service and how to run a *python script* as a Windows service. Although
> these were really useful, my point was different.
>
> I have developed a script that monitors a specified folder for changes
> in the files or folders within it. I converted that script to a stand
> alone exe using py2exe. ***Now I would like to run that exe as a
> Windows service***.
>
> I also intend to create an exe that will retrieve any information
> stored by the file monitor mentioned above.
>
> Please tell me how do I go about it.
>
> Although I am a beginner in Python and Windows Services (Daemon), I am
> a moderately experienced programmer.
>
> -Regards

Here is an alternative solution.

I have a simple socket server program, which I wanted to run as a
service on Linux and Windows.

On Linux it was easy - start it from rc.local with a trailing &.

On Windows, I was given advice on how to use pywin32 to set up the
program as a Windows service, but it felt like overkill. Then someone
suggested 'srvany', a utility that allows you to run any program as a
service. It is part of the NT Resource Kit. I downloaded it and it
works fine for me. Google has plenty of references.

Frank Millman