hi i have some doubts on a volume and the file system

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 03:55:53 EST 2005

[muttu2244 at yahoo.com]

> i want to check the position of a volume in a particular
> drive. say for example in a disk i have 3 different drives:
> C:\ , D:\  and E:\.
> Now if i want to check what position is the D:\ in, how
> can i write the code. Means whether its in a 0th position
> or 1st position or a 2nd position.
> Is there any way using win32api or win32com.

> if i want to check a particular volume is a logical, or a primary one
,
> what is the method i have to use? does it can also be done through
> win32api.

Well, this page suggests that it's possible using WMI:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/may05/hey0
523.mspx

and, using the WMI module from here:

http://timgolden.me.uk/python/wmi.html

this bit of code seems to give you what you want.

<code>
import wmi
c = wmi.WMI ()

for physical_disk in c.Win32_DiskDrive ():
  for partition in physical_disk.associators
("Win32_DiskDriveToDiskPartition"):
    for logical_disk in partition.associators
("Win32_LogicalDiskToPartition"):
      print physical_disk.Caption, partition.Caption,
logical_disk.Caption

</code>

Obviously, I've just printed the Caption, but you could pick up whatever

information you wanted from the disk, partition & logical_disk objects.
If you just print the object itself, it will give you all its fields
and values.

By the way, thanks for the question. I've never come across a meaningful
example of WMI associators before, although I've had the code in the
module since the first version.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk