Indentation/whitespace

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Sat Dec 24 11:06:33 EST 2005

James Tanis <jtanis at pycoder.org> wrote:
> syntax. Honestly I wonder how so many coders actually came to be
> interested in the field -- one that pretty much thrives in part on its
> neverending ability to vary, grow, and change -- if something so small
> can warrant so much attention.

An obsession with details can be a good thing in, as you put it, "a
coder" -- the grand vision may matter, but the details always do (if you
don't get every detail right, the program won't run correctly).  So, I
am not surprised if many people predisposed to devoting lot of attention
to small details get attracted to programming (and, more generally,
engineering and even science), in preference to other careers...

Alex