Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Mon Dec 19 18:30:35 EST 2005

Russell E. Owen wrote:
> I disagree. Once you've picked a database (not trivial in itself, of
> course), you typically only have a few options for talking to in in
> Python.

Perhaps it's off-topic for this thread, but I think "picking a database"
is the first mistake most people make.  It's a form of premature
optimization.

Just like any other component in a system, develop your app without a
database until you see that you need one, don't just assume you do from
the beginning.

I was listening to an interview with Ron Jeffries the other day, and
when asked what he considers one of his greatest accomplishments (as a
software developer), he told a story about working on a large
development project for a system that was going to process large amounts
of data.

At the beginning of the project he was asked what database they should
use, he said (something like) "wait until we need one".  During
development several people asked what database they were going to use,
he reiterated: "wait until we need one".  After the system went into
production (without a database) he eventually left the company.  Years
later he found out that they still hadn't "chosen a database" because
they had yet to need one.  Sounds like a pretty good application of
YAGNI to me.  http://xp.c2.com/YouArentGonnaNeedIt.html

That's also why I don't see much point to the
relational-database-centric web frameworks that are all the rage today,
but I'll save that rant for another day.
--
Benji