Which Python web framework is most like Ruby on Rails?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Mon Dec 19 17:56:43 EST 2005

In article <86lkykuao4.fsf at bhuda.mired.org>, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org>
wrote:

>"Ben Sizer" <kylotan at gmail.com> writes:
>> I see what you mean, but unfortunately I think there is a lot more
>> fuzziness than that. If the separate parts were clearly delineated
>> things would be a lot better. I look to the Database API Specification
>> as a great example of how this could (should?) be done, allowing for
>> easy interchangeability while still providing a well-documented
>> standard
>
>Constant queries on c.l.python for "Which DB module should I use"
>would indicate that having a standard and to many choices isn't really
>better than having no standard and to many choices.

I disagree. Once you've picked a database (not trivial in itself, of
course), you typically only have a few options for talking to in in
Python. Also, typically either:
- One stands out (because others have been abandoned or whatever), so
there's an easy answer, or
- They all work about the same, so even if you decide to switch for some
reason it makes little difference.

SQLObject breaks that mold, but for excellent reasons. It's nice to
start from a standard and then maybe somebody figures out a really nifty
way to do things. (I haven't used SQLObject yet, but I plan to try it
out when things calm down a bit).

If we had a standard basic web framework or a standard template language
it would really help (more folks using it, more folks who can help folks
learning it, better documentation, more focused development). Something
better might come along, and then it'd be easier to evaluate and more
appreciated.

-- Russell