ANN: pygene - genetic algorithms package

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Dec 6 20:18:13 EST 2005

aum wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 23:45:30 -0800, Erik Max Francis wrote:
>>I only scanned through the API documentation, but it looks like only
>>genetic algorithms are supported, not full genetic programming.
>
> Correct. Organisms of a species have a fixed genome.

I've done just enough work in genetic algorithms (and a token amount in
genetic programming) to be perplexed by this comment.  Are you
suggesting that genetic programming is somehow not related to genetic
algorithms?

My understanding is that (said perhaps somewhat simplistically) genetic
programming is an application of genetic algorithms in which the genomes
are treated as describing the structure of a program whose execution
basically results in the fitness level for that genome.

If that's a reasonably accurate statement (or, I suppose, even if it's
not), would you please clarify how your "fixed genome" comment relates
to any of this?

-Peter