ANN: pygene - genetic algorithms package

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Dec 6 03:45:52 EST 2005

aum wrote:

> Correct. Organisms of a species have a fixed genome.

My bad, you had mentioned in the announcement that you had looked at
genetic programming systems but didn't claim that pygene was itself a
genetic programming system.  I misread that; my apologies.

 >> I've been planning on releasing my stack-based genetic programming
 >> system Psi (implemented in Python) at some point in the future, FYI.
 >
> Has it got an approachable API? Good doco? Examples understandable by
> newbies? Hope so. There's a lot of good software that gets ruined because
> insufficient work has been put in to its usability and comprehensibility.

That's what I'm working on while polishing it for release.  It's also
the case that a well-designed class hierarchy will help folks understand
the tools that are available to them.  "Understandable by newbies" isn't
all that a high a priority for me when writing complex software; what's
useful is writing software that's easily used by someone familiar with
the general concepts, familiar with programming, and familiar with the
language that the project is implemented in.  You can't teach all things
simultaneously; I'm not sure creating a genetic programming (or genetic
algorithms) system that's useful to "newbies" (whatever that means) is
even a useful goal in and of itself.

   As far as I'm concerned, being any gender is a drag.
   -- Patti Smith