Providing 'default' value with raw_input()?

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Fri Dec 23 13:43:56 EST 2005

planetthoughtful wrote:
> I had thought to build GUIs in wxPython - is Tkinter any easier to
> learn?

I certainly found Tkinter easier.  There are a couple of good tutorials
(and there is always the Grayson book) on the web to get started.  What
is easiest to learn is (in many cases) a property of the student,
however.  Were I a Linux-only GPL kind of a guy, I think Qt might be
an interesting way to go.  One thing that helps tremendously in learning
Tkinter: using Idle in single-process mode:

     C:\Python24\Python C:\Python24\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw -n

This is obviously a WinXX example, but the "-n" parameter to idle is
the important part.  Since a single-process Idle is running the Tkinter
GUI loop, you can try operations a step at a time (letting you see what
happens).

--Scott David Daniels
scott.daniels at acm.org