xml with python <-> python deprecated - why?

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Tue Dec 20 08:34:14 EST 2005

Frank Millman wrote:

> I am curious. Why is xml frowned upon? Is my new method ok, or is there
> a better way?

Using XML gives you portability at the expense of increased code
manipulating the data structures.

Try creating a button with "<<<" as the label and you'll find why your xml
solution isn't ideal. For anything non-trivial you'll find it much better
to use one of the existing xml libraries to build your xml and then you'll
find why the non-xml solution looks simpler.

Generally speaking you make the decision to use xml or not based on a lot
of factors. Sometimes it is the best solution, other times using something
like a Python pickle might be better. Use whichever you are happy with
here.