Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python?

Aaron Bingham bingham at cenix-bioscience.com
Fri Dec 2 11:34:56 EST 2005

seberino at spawar.navy.mil wrote:

>I'm trying to move beyond Emacs/Vim/Kate
>and was wondering if Eclipse is better and if it is the *best*
>IDE for Python.
>
>Should I leave Emacs and do Python coding in Eclipse?

I've been a heavy Emacs user for several years, but recently switched to
Eclipse for Python development.  I was skeptical at first, but I gave it
a chance for a few days and was convinced.

The killer PyDev feature for me is pylint integration.  Being informed
immediately when you mistype a variable name is a big timesaver.  Also
nice is the refactoring support (although this it is possible to
integrate BicycleRepairMan! with Emacs, I found it easier to use in
Eclipse).  I still find the Eclipse editor awkward for some things that
are easy in Emacs (Emacs is in my fingers), so I occasionally switch
back to Emacs for a quick edit.

Eclipse performance is not a problem for me, but I have a beefy box.

Enjoy,

Aaron Bingham