Making immutable instances

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Thu Dec 1 21:42:31 EST 2005

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> >> Lots of people seem to want immutable instances. Nobody seems to
> >> have a use case for them.
> > Perhaps you missed my release announcement of the 'enum' package
> > that explains why Enum instances are immutable.
>
> Yes, I did. I couldn't turn it up in Google, either.

It was the announcement for enum 0.3:

    <URL:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/ea5991de0459d5c4/>

> Could I get you to recap the reason?

    "Since the values of an enumeration are directly reflected in the
    values and attributes, Enum instances are immutable to preserve
    this relationship"

--
 \      "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without |
  `\   hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd |