Making immutable instances

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Dec 1 19:50:19 EST 2005

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
>> Lots of people seem to want immutable instances. Nobody seems to
>> have a use case for them.
> Perhaps you missed my release announcement of the 'enum' package that
> explains why Enum instances are immutable.

Yes, I did. I couldn't turn it up in Google, either. I did find a long
thread where you discuss the issue. Reading that, I found
justifications for having a constant hash value, and having immutable
attributes - but I've known about those for a long time.. Neither of
these constitutes an immutable instance.

Could I get you to recap the reason?

      thanks,
      <mike