Still Loving Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Dec 13 17:26:37 EST 2005

Jérôme Laheurte <fraca7 at free.fr> writes:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:35:40 +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> Maybe the OP really wants a GUI builder.
>> More than 5 years ago, i programmed in Visual Basic and Delphi and I
>> still miss the wonderful ease of graphically creating the user interface
>> in WYSIWYG mode. If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you're
>> missing :)
> Sorry for the harsh tone, I just think GUI builders are *evil*.

I agree. I've tried a number of different gui builders. I find it much
faster to type something like:

    ui.add_button("New", self.new)
    ui.add_button("Open", self.open)
    ui.add_button("Save", self.save)
    ui.add_button("Save As", self.save_as)

Than have to drag four menu buttons from a pallette, then open the
properties of each one to edit the text of the button and the callback
entry (or whatever dance they need so you can enter the required
text).

> Anyway, if the OP is looking for a 'Python Delphi', I think Boa
> constructor is just that. I can't stand it :)

Never tried it. My experiences with GUI builders has convinced me I
don't want anything to do with them.

      <mike