Still Loving Python

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 13:03:01 EST 2005

Nothing beats Delphi for the raw design speed and choices for GUI
development. .NET is another good option. The good news is you don't
have to loose their benefits just because we chose Python. Python for
Delphi works quite well to get you the best of both worlds. I develop
the app in Python as a library first (Python is great for quick
prototyping), make my GUI in Delphi and simply call my library from it.
Bundling Python manually into an installer can be a chore but you will
get used to it. Once IronPython is complete, it should do the same for
.NET. I currently use Boo in a similar fashion.

For simpler UIs, libglade does a great job of seperating concerns.

> Are there any easy GUI
> builders for any Python-supported toolkits?

Most UI toolkits have sort of builders
GTK - Glade
wxWindows - wxGlade
Fox - Fox Dialog Editor
FLTK - Fluid
TkInter - SpecTcl (I think I remember it exporting to Python)

Ofcourse, none are as robust as Delphi's.