Python packages on OS X vs Windows

Kenneth McDonald kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 15 01:16:14 EST 2005

I've often found the Linux world to be like falling off a log,
specifically, a log above a deep chasm with sharp rocks
at the bottom :-)

Linux has its place (though I tended to use FreeBSD more),
but it's been several years since I've wanted to actually know
how to manage my own system. I'd suggest that the variety of
distribution/installation schemes that have been developed
for these systems indicate that software installation is _not_
that easy to do on them.

IMHO, any installation procedure that requires the user to
compile a piece of software is fundamentally broken; the
compilation step is part of the software development process,
and should be done at the source, so that compilation/linking/make/etc.
bugs can be handled there. Hence my question about installing
Python-related packages on Windows (in spite of all of my other
dislikes of Windows, which are numerous).