Favorite flavor of Linux? (for python or anything else)

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Mon Dec 5 00:56:13 EST 2005

Brett Hoerner wrote:

>I have to add another vote for Gentoo.

And another here.  Portage (the Python-coded package-management system)
does a very good job.  I tend to use fairly conservative settings as
well, Gentoo's just nice and stable as a general rule, I don't care
about ultimate speed or tweaking the code much, I just find that
building everything from source (but without the headaches) tends to
make things work together well.

As far as Python support goes, Gentoo tends to work very well for Python
packages, Pygame and wxPython on AMD64, for instance, install flawlessly
out of the box (where others seem to have problems)... in fact most of
the major packages install reliably.  There's a key note that you might
miss regarding the Python updating process, namely that you have to run
python-updater to rebuild all of your packages for the new Python
version, but once you know that, Pythonicity in Gentoo is pretty
straightforward.

Anyway, just a vote that's trying very hard to keep on-topic for the
python list,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder