PyHtmlGUI Project is looking for developers

phoenixathell at gmx.de phoenixathell at gmx.de
Tue Dec 27 10:35:42 EST 2005

Hi Sybren,

the idea of pyhtmlgui is that you can develop a web application the
same way like a standard gui application. So what you get is a widget
tree (buttons, forms, title bars, etc.) on the server side and a gui on
the client side. The server in our case would be something like Apache
or Zope webserver (in fact at the moment we only support Zope, but we
want to extend it to Apache as well). The client is a browser. So the
whole application is design as a thin-client-fat-server architecture.

KHTML is just a rendering engine like IE or gecko that renders incoming
html/css pages. That means that you need a plattform dependened program
where you embedd KHTML control. But than you are limited to a plattform
and you will have trouble to port the program to other systems. And the
biggest point is that the program is executed on the clients machine
whereas in our case the program is executed on the server and only the
htmlgui is delivered to the client.

Our dream is that established web applications like phpmyadmin or
squirrelmail will get a interface that can be recognized between
different applications. Through this approach you can expect that the
behaviour will be the same. That was pretty much the same idea behind
KDE or even more evil Windows.

So far every web application project used its own interface because
there is no common framework. What we see now is a growing development
of content managment systems. But these frameworks are limited to the
task of content managment. We propose a more general view of web
applications.

I hope that answers your question.

Greetings,
Ingo