ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Dec 11 05:30:43 EST 2005

Zeljko Vrba wrote:
> On 2005-12-11, Rick Wotnaz <desparn at wtf.com> wrote:
>
>>Make a grocery list. Do you terminate each item with
>>punctuation? Write a headline for a newspaper. Is
>>

> actually, I do. i write as much as fits in one line and separate items
> with comma.
>

>>may find Python's set strange at first. Please try it, and
>>don't fight it. See if your objections don't fade away. If
>>you're like most Python newbies, you'll stop thinking about
>>

> I'm not Python newbie. I wrote a good deal of non-trivial python code,
> and I still don't like it and still find it very annoying.
>

>>brackets before long, and if you're like a lot of us,
>>you'll wonder what those funny squiggles mean when you are
>>forced to revert to one of those more primitive languages.
>>

> Actually, after I learned Python, I value "funny squiggles" in other
> languages even more. It's very annoying, for example, that I can't split
> a long line in the following way:
>
> print a + b +
>   c + d
> print "other statement"
>
> I guess I'm required to insert some unneccessary () around the long expression
> to disable the white space parsing..

I don't suppose there's any good reason, then, why (for example)
outlining tools use indentation to indicate different levels of
significance.

I'm sorry you find the indentation unnatural and inconvenient, but you
may have to accept that for this feature you are actually in a minority.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119