IsString

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Dec 15 03:22:37 EST 2005

Donn Cave wrote:
> Quoth Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org>:
> | Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> writes:
>
> The question is whether basically everyone needs to get there, or we
> can expect the masses to use the language _without understanding it_
> in this sense, without understanding the language-specific stuff.
> I don't know how important that is, I guess it depends on how real
> the CP4E world is ever going to be, but I think it's wishful thinking
> to expect that to work with Python.

Hear, hear. However you describe it Python is what it is, and this
interminable discussion about its similarities with and differences from
various concepts (most lately call by name/call by value) doesn't much
aid understanding for the majority.

The important question is not "what's that Python concept called in
other languages" but "do you understand how Python works".

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119