I want a Python Puppy !

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Tue Dec 13 11:01:57 EST 2005

Magnus Lycka wrote:
> Claudio Grondi wrote:
>
>> I have just discovered the existance of Puppy Linux which is a
>> complete operating  system with a suite of GUI apps,  only about 50 -
>> 60M booting directly off the CDROM ( http://www.puppylinux.org ).
>>
>> This approach appears to me very Pythonic, so it were a nice thing to
>> have a full featured Puppy Linux Live CD prepared for Python programming.
>>
>> Have someone already breed a Python Puppy and is so kind to share a
>> copy of it with me?
>

> I think the Ubuntu Live CD has a lot of Python thingies, but it's
> much bigger than 50-60MB. That hardly matters if you intend to use
> a CD, but it might not fit on a cheap USB memory...

Ubuntu Live CD comes directly with Python 2.4.2. Ubuntu was able to use
  mainboards (ASUS P4P800-SE) onboard sound out of the box and to write
files to USB stick. I have some trouble to understand how Python works
on it because it is not organized as on Windows (e.g. there is no [Lib]
directory under the [Python2.4] one) and I failed to start Idle (can't
access idlelib) after a longer time of searching for a  file to start
it. At least the Python command line runs when I type  \>python  in the
console window and some of the Tkinter examples run too.
Compared to Suse installation DVD full packed with data, Ubuntu Linux is
limited to a CD - I don't have enough experience to tell if it good or
bad, but it seems, that Ubuntu supports less software packages then
Suse. Does it matter, when one has the option to install software by
compiling source code distributions?

Currently Ubuntu is my favorite, because it seems to be at the moment
the only Linux distribution supporting already Python 2.4.2 out of the
box, so maybe it is worth to dig deeper into it for the purpose of
installing it on a harddrive. Anyone here who uses Ubuntu for developing
larger Python projects?

Inbetween I was also told
(http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4612), that Python for
Puppy Linux "is available in the grafpup package repositories (try
googling grafpup). Install it as an alien package using pupget.", so
there seems to be Python 2.4.2
(ftp://grafpup.com/packages/python-2.4r2.tar.gz) support in Puppy Linux.

But that is not what I was looking for - it can only serve as a starting
point for building a Python Puppy Live CD/DVD distribution myself.
Probably I have much to try and learn before I can start on it and
succeed, so "I want a Python Puppy" is still open for beeing provided.

My vision is to have a Python Puppy DVD, i.e. 4 GByte of files with the
entire Python environment and another software tools I could use on
almost any PC to continue work on Python projects stored on an USB
stick. This would make my programming environment mobile without the
need of carrying a notebook/laptop with me (a DVD and a USB stick should
be enough to be mobile in the todays world, where it is so easy to get
access to a PC).

I can only hardly believe, that there is none Puppy Linux derived
Python distribution with most of the important extension modules already
available out of the box completed to a nice package with Gimp,
Firefox/Thunderbird, Open Office, etc., so please let me know about it
helping this way to avoid reinventing the wheel.

I am surprized, that the Puppy kind of Linux distribution seems not to
be popular among the users of comp.lang.python, so maybe someone can
explain to me why it is that way to calm down my fascination before I
put too much efforts into it in order to discover, that it is maybe a
dead end.

Claudio