ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!

Dave Hansen iddw at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:43:31 EST 2005

On 2 Dec 2005 10:08:21 -0800 in comp.lang.python, JohnBMudd at gmail.com
wrote:

>Here it is again...  Python bypassed/discounted because, of all things,
>scoping by indentation!?!?
>
>This used to surprise me.  Until I hear more and more otherwise
>reasonable programmers list this as their number one reason for
>shunning Python.
>
>I gauge design defects by how much after market
>discussion/documentation a feature generates/requires.   Scoping by
>indentation is a whopper of a defect.

FWIW, indentation scoping one one of the features that _attracted_ me
to Python.

It's far more interesting to me _why_ people think indentation scoping
is a bad thing.  The answer I get back fall into two general
categories: 1) I've heard/read/been told it's a bad thing, and 2) It
causes portability problems.

Of these, only (2) is valid.  And the only reason it's valid is that
Python recognizes the TAB character as valid indentation.  TAB
characters are evil.  They should be banned from Python source code.
The interpreter should stop translation of code and throw an exception
when one is encountered.  Seriously.  At least, I'm serious when I say
that.  I've never seen TAB characters solve more problems than they
cause in any application.

But I suspect I'm a lone voice crying in the wilderness.  Regards,
                                        -=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.