WindowsXP development using msvc .net 2003

Michael O'Brien mkobrien at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:26:01 EST 2005

Hola~

I'm developing a c++ library that contains python types and methods on
Windows using MSVC .net 2003 and g++ on Linux.

To compile on Linux, I just compile and I can use a debug compiled
version of my plugin in a vanilla python interpreter. On Windows, it
seems like you have to compile a custom version of python and then
compile my plugin against the debug version of python.

Is that right? I guess I don't understand why the Windows distribution
of Python includes the headers and libraries if only an optimized
plugin could access it. I've compiled my own version of Python (it
worked out of the box), but I wouldn't think I would need to.

Now, I'd like to update my plugin to be able to export a Numeric array
type. On Linux, I just point the compiler at the headers, and it all
seems to work. On Windows, do I have to compile a debug version of
Numeric to do so?

I feel like I'm making things harder than they need to be on Windows.
Any advice on building Python modules on both Windows and Linux would
be appreciated.

MO