Using XML w/ Python...

uche.ogbuji at gmail.com uche.ogbuji at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:45:51 EST 2005

Jay:
"""
K, I have this  XML doc, i dont know much about XML, but what i want
to do is take certain parts of the XML doc, such as </title> blah
</title> and take just that and put onto a text doc. Then same thing
doe the </body> part. Thats about it, i checked out some of the xml
modules but dont understand how to use them. Dont get parsing, so if
you could please explain working with XML and python to me.
"""

Someone already mentioned

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6225

I do want to update that Amara API.  As of recent releases it's as
simple as

import amara
doc = amara.parse("foo.opml")
for url in doc.xpath("//@xmlUrl"):
    print url.value

Besides the XPath option, Amara [1] provides Python API options for
unknown elements, such as

node.xml_child_elements
node.xml_attributes

This is all covered with plenty of examples in the manual [2]

[1] http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/4suite/amara/
[2] http://uche.ogbuji.net/uche.ogbuji.net/tech/4suite/amara/manual-dev

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net                    http://fourthought.com