ElementTree - Why not part of the core?

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at o2.usun.pl
Wed Dec 7 14:43:36 EST 2005

Steven Bethard napisał(a):

>> ElementTree on the other hand provides incredibly easy access to XML
>> elements and works in a more Pythonic way.  Why has the API not been
>> included in the Python core?
>
> While I fully agree that ElementTree is far more Pythonic than the
> dom-based stuff in the core, this issue has been discussed on
> python-dev[1].  Fredrik Lundh's response:
>
>     shipping stable versions of ElementTree/cElementTree (or PIL, or
>     python-doc, or exemaker, or what else you might find useful) with
>     official Python releases is perfectly okay.
>
>     moving the main trunk and main development over to the Python CVS is
>     another thing, entirely.
>
> I think some people were hoping that instead of adding these things to
> the standard library, we would come up with a better package manager
> that would make adding these things to your local library much simpler.

What about more intelligent installer, that after installing core
packages, would present user a list of recommended packages in few
groups (like "markup processing", "popular RDBMS interaction", "web
frameworks", "multimedia", etc.) and would be able to fetch and install
packages using PyPI descriptions? Unattended install with this feature
would be great.

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/