Wingide is a beautiful application

vinjvinj vinjvinj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 12:09:12 EST 2005

I haven't used an IDE in a long time but gave wing ide a try because
I wanted the same development platform on Linux and Windows.

I'm currently using Ultraedit and it works fine but needed something
more portable as I'm moving my main platform over to Ubuntu. I first
tried jedit and was reasonably happy with it but it felt slow and it
did not have a native look and feel to it. It was really hard on the
eyes.

I was impressed! The UI has completely changed since the last time I
gave it a spin. It's much more useable and beautiful on the eyes. My
productivity has gone up for sure and would highly recomend it to
anyone else. not to mention you'll be supporting python as well.

Things I like about wingide:
- Ability to double click on the project plan and it hides and you
double click on it and it becomes visable again.
- Ability to double click on the debug/python shell plan and it hides
and you double click on it and it becomes visable again.
- Auto completion is very powerful and well implemented.
- Open the file that a function was defined through the context menu
- Keyboard mapping for vi and emacs
- Always having a python shell available
- An integrated debugger.
- Running in debug mode was significantly faster than any other
debugger I have used.
- Auto indent mode is vary useful.
- The space manager. Notifies you if a file contains spaces and tabs
and then converts all tabs into spaces.
- Ability to debug my cherrypy and turbogears application

Things that could use improvement:
- The block mode Ability to work with text files in block mode where
you can highlight any block in the file. Wingide implementation is
reasonable but not like Ultraedit's or jedit's

Does anyone know what gui toolkit wingide uses? it really is one of the
best applications I've seen for some time and it's a great way to
support python.