ANN: Dao Language v.0.9.6-beta is release!

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Dec 7 04:38:08 EST 2005

Op 2005-12-07, Ben Sizer schreef <kylotan at gmail.com>:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>> Op 2005-12-06, Ben Sizer schreef <kylotan at gmail.com>:
>> > Of course. However I would argue that indented scope is one way of
>> > doing so. Scope is instantly visible, and no longer a game of 'hunt the
>> > punctuation character, which is in a different place depending on the
>> > coder's style'.
>>
>> There are situations in which indentation is not that visible.
>>
>> The problem is that situations arise where your code can't be
>> read continuously. e.g. it can be spread over pages in a book.
>
> Write shorter functions ;)

This has little to do with long functions. A class can contain
a large number of methods, whitch are all rather short, and your
class will still be spread over several pages.

>> Other situations arise where indentation alone isn't a clear
>> indication of how many scopes are left.
>
> No, but I find it's only a tiny bit worse than in C++/Java, where I
> usually find myself adding a comment at the end of a block anyway, just
> so that I remember what exactly is coming to an end at that point.
> (Although again, this might be telling me that my function is too big.)
> That transfers to Python where necessary.

The fact that your function might be too long, doesn't change that
a proper end marker can make the structure of your program more
clearer for those reading the code.

--
Antoon Pardon