why does php have a standard SQL module and Python doesn't !?

Heiko Wundram modelnine at bit-bukket.org
Thu Dec 15 14:31:02 EST 2005

seb.haase at gmail.com wrote:
> What is the best (easiest ! quickest !) way to get started doing some
> SQL in Python ?

SQL isn't SQL, and there is no "standard" SQL module, not even in PHP (which
ships with modules for MySQL, PostgreSQL and MSSQL/Sybase IIRC). It all
depends on the database backend. See below.

> (I have mySQL running on a Linux box in our Lab and would like to
> access it from Windows (or MacOSX) on some other machine also in the
> same subnet)

For MySQL, try MySQLdb, which is a Python module to allow access to the
MySQL database (what you seem to want to do). Just Google for it. MySQLdb
is DB-API 2.0 compatible.

--- Heiko.