Please enlighten me about PyPy

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Thu Dec 22 14:01:03 EST 2005

Luis M. González wrote:

> At this moment, the traslated python-in-python version is, or intends
> to be, something more or less equivalent to Cpython in terms of
> performance.
Actually, I think here it is more or less equivalent in behavior.

 > Because it is in essence almost the same thing: another C python
interpreter
> implementation. The only difference is that while Cpython was
> written by hand, pypy was written in python and auto-translated to C.
That is not the only difference.  It becomes a lot easier to experiment
with alternative implementations of features and run timing tests.

> What remains to be done now is implementing the psyco-like techniques
> for improving speed (amongst many other things, like stackless, etc).
While the psyco-like tricks for specialization should definitely improve
the interpreter, there is a second trick (watch for exploding heads
here).  The big trick is that you can specialize the interpreter for
running _its_ input (a Python program), thus giving you a new
interpreter that only runs your Python program -- a very specialized
interpreter indeed.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.daniels at acm.org