Favorite flavor of Linux? (for python or anything else)

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sun Dec 4 20:47:05 EST 2005

"Brett Hoerner" <bretthoerner at gmail.com> writes:
> I have to add another vote for Gentoo.  I agree that you just "have
> less problems" on Gentoo.  Updates are from source,

Gentoo is one of my favorite Linux distributions - because it's the
the most like a BSD distribution, except not as mature. A lot of the
rough edges of Gentoo have been dealt with in FreeBSD. For instance,
you can update from source, but you can also get binary updates.  jOn
the other hand, Gentoo uses technology that was designed after the BSD
systems, so has the potential to be better. But if you like Gentoo,
you might want to take a look at one fo the BSDs.

On the other hand, if you want a complete desktop system, Ubuntu has a
lot to offer.

    <mike