Wingide is a beautiful application

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.com.imagination
Sun Dec 18 20:51:20 EST 2005

Claudio Grondi enlightened us with:
> The file I was editing was just 22 KByte large having 450 lines, so
> you try here to explain to me, that for speed reasons Vim has to cut
> it into pieces?

Yep.

> Stani SPE based on Scintilla does it right, UltraEdit does it right,
> Wing does it right, so what, are we now on a 1 MHz computer with 128
> KByte of memory for all the system and program files what would make
> such approach necessary?

I'm giving you the reason why syntax highlighting in VIM doesn't
always do what you expect. I never said it wasn't a silly reason.
Having said that, A quick Ctrl+L usually fixes this for me.

>> Wrong. I have used Vim for years, and only found a few minor
>> issues, nothing more.
> Let us know about them, so that we know it too.

Syntax highlighting is awfully slow on files with very long lines.
That's the only thing I can think of now. And it's fixed in the
upcoming VIM 7.

> But this is what I have experienced. Are you on a *nix system?

Yep.

> I speak here about Microsoft Windows XP SP 2 on a 3GByte RAM
> equipped Pentium 4 and Cream-Vim installed

I use Vim and GVim, on a 1.25 GB RAM equipped AthlonXP, on Ubuntu
Linux.

> But is does not work out of the box for me with the download I have
> mentioned and I was not able to fix it as I tried.

That's probably because when you install Vim in Windows, it changes
key settings to be more appropriate for Windows. Rip those
Win32-compatability crap out of your .vimrc (or is it called _vimrc
there?) so you can use all the keys everybody else can.

> Yes, I see your point, but with the increasing speed of the hardware
> and better software quality it is now possible to choose tools which
> are easy to use and don't have a steep learning curve.

True. I find Vim very easy to use, and it didn't take me long to learn
it. It does help if you're on a platform which supplies 'vimtutor'
along with vim, and doesn't mangle the keybindings, though.

> I am used to Microsoft Windows way of designing user interfaces, so
> I expect software running on Windows to provide what I am used to.

LOL don't get me started on the Microsoft way in combination with my
expectations...

> The times where the user had to adopt to the software are over.

You're very wrong there. Users have to adopt to the software, unless
they write their own. You also have to adopt to all sort of things in
your life, so what's the big issue with software?

To give you a few examples: I live in The Netherlands, so I buy cars
with the steering wheel on the left. I have to use that, no matter
what I want - unless I take the effort to import a car from abroad.  I
have to screw to the right to get a screw inside a piece of wood. I
have to adopt to that. That's the way things work.

> Now there are all preconditions available making it possible to
> adopt the software to the user.

And most users get afraid of all those options they can set and all
those things they can tweak to get the software to adopt to their
whishes.

> What other editing tools have you already evaluated? I tried as many
> as possible including Vim before I decided to spend money on
> purchasing UltraEdit and inspite of the fact, that there are so many
> new editors there, I still see no chance to replace UltraEdit with
> any other editing tool

I've tried UltraEdit, didn't like it, went back to Vim. Same with
other editors. I don't like the way I get popups in UE when I want to
search or replace something. I haven't tested this, but I haven't seen
a way to re-wrap text like Vim can - even in this post it can rewrap
your text without messing up the '>' symbols in front of it. It can
even rewrap comments, strings etc. in source code without messing up
indentation or marker characters.

> Just evaluate yourself at least SPE and Wing and come back to tell
> here about your experience comparing them to Vim

I'll see if I can get around to it. I'm very busy atm, but I'm busy
doing Python programming, so perhaps I can do some with the IDEs you
mentioned.

Hmm... neither are bundled with Ubuntu.

SPE is already annoying because of all the new windows it opens... Not
a good start. I remember using it before, to check out the Blender
integration. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I'll give it another go.

WingIDE is commercial software, which I'm not going to use. I'm not
all against commercial software, but if there is a Free alternative,
I'd rather use that.

Sybren
                                             Frank Zappa