Still Loving Python

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Tue Dec 13 23:26:43 EST 2005

Jérôme Laheurte <fraca7 at free.fr> wrote:
> Sorry for the harsh tone, I just think GUI builders are *evil*. Except
> maybe for QT Designer, which has a nice model where you implement
> callbacks by subclassing the generated classes. At least you don't have to
> look at the generated code.

Try Interface Builder on a Mac: it builds interfaces as _data_ files,
not "generated code".  You can then use the same UI from Objective C,
Java, Python (w/PyObjC), AppleScript... interface-painters which
generate code are a really bad idea.  (I'm sure Apple's IB is not the
only interface-painter which encodes the UI as a datafile, easily
interpreted at startup by a suitable library for whatever language
you're using to flesh it out -- it's such an obviously RIGHT idea!).

Alex