sslerror: (8, 'EOF occurred in violation of protocol') ???

Robert k.robert at gmx.de
Tue Aug 30 07:42:30 EDT 2005

"Robert" <k.robert at gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:deug44$1jus$1 at ulysses.news.tiscali.de...
> On some connections only from some computers/network setups I get this
> error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
>   File "ClientCookie\_urllib2_support.pyo", line 524, in open
>   File "ClientCookie\_urllib2_support.pyo", line 424, in http_response
>   File "ClientCookie\_urllib2_support.pyo", line 541, in error
>   File "urllib2.pyo", line 306, in _call_chain
>   File "ClientCookie\_urllib2_support.pyo", line 185, in http_error_302
>   File "ClientCookie\_urllib2_support.pyo", line 518, in open
>   File "urllib2.pyo", line 326, in open
>   File "urllib2.pyo", line 306, in _call_chain
>   File "ClientCookie\_urllib2_support.pyo", line 759, in https_open
>   File "ClientCookie\_urllib2_support.pyo", line 608, in do_open
>   File "httplib.pyo", line 712, in endheaders
>   File "httplib.pyo", line 597, in _send_output
>   File "httplib.pyo", line 564, in send
>   File "httplib.pyo", line 985, in connect
>   File "socket.pyo", line 73, in ssl
> sslerror: (8, 'EOF occurred in violation of protocol')

In http://groups.google.de/group/comp.lang.python/msg/252b421a7d9ff037 Jp
Calderone wrote:

On 21 Jun 2005 08:39:02 -0700, Matthias Kluwe <mkl... at gmail.com> wrote:

<cit>

>> From: "Paul Rubin" "http://phr.cx"@NOSPAM.invalid

>>> "Matthias Kluwe" <mkl... at gmail.com> writes:
>>> After getting a @gmail.com address, I recognized I had to use TLS in my
>>> python scripts using smtplib in order to get mail to the smtp.gmail.com
>>> server.

>>> [...]

>>> The server accepts and delivers my messages, but the last command
>>> raises

>>> socket.sslerror: (8, 'EOF occurred in violation of protocol')

>> [...]

>> Have you verified that its your end that is broken,  not gmail's,  do
other
>> servers give the same response ?

>No, I have not -- I should have, as I know now: Connecting, starttls,
>login and sending mail works fine without the above mentioned error
>using my previous mail provider.

>Does that mean Gmail is in error here? I don't know...

Most SSL servers and clients (primarily HTTP, but some SMTP as well) are
broken in this regard: they do not properly negotiate TLS connection
shutdown.  This causes one end or the other to notice an SSL protocol error.
Most of the time, the only thing left to do after the TLS connection
shutdown is normal TCP connection shutdown, so the error doesn't lead to any
problems (which is probably why so much software generates this problem).
Of course, there's no way to *tell* if this is the case or not, at least
programmatically.  If you receive an OK response to your DATA, you probably
don't need to worry, since you have gotten what you wanted out of the
conversation.

It's entirely possible that the fault here lies on gmail's end, but it is
also possible that the fault is in your code or the standard library ssl
support.  Unless you want to dive into Python's OpenSSL bindings or start
examining network traces of SSL traffic, you probably won't be able to
figure out who's to blame in this particular case.  The simplest thing to do
is probably just capture and discard that particular error (again, assuming
you are getting an OK resposne to your DATA command).

</cit>

In fact I saw the same problem with SSL-SMTP and Googles GMAIL. the sslerror
can be ignored.

But in my case here (HTTPS) the transaction story (redirected https-request)
is not yet
completed. I don't have the essential data communicated at the moment of the
error. What can be done?

Robert