Dabo in 30 seconds?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:38:11 EDT 2005

Paul McNett wrote:

> I've done things like this in the past, in my own Visual Foxpro
> framework. In that situation, I had enough control over the deployment
> to also ship a small smtp client, and automatically email the error
> without requiring any interaction at all. Clients were impressed when
> I'd already have a fix for the problem before they even notified me of
> the issue!

Well, I thought about doing the same, which is easy since python already has
smtplib built into the stdlib.  I was just lazy and didn't do it.  Though I
would not implement it to send things silently without user acknowledgement.
Since ipython is not installed by me on user machines (your situation was
obviously different), I prefer to notify users of things about to be done
first, in case they'd rather not have it 'call home'.

But it would be a nice enhancement to add the option for auto-emailing in case
of trouble.