Revamping Python build system (Was: pythonXX.dll size: please split CJK codecs out)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 21 16:31:37 EDT 2005

Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> You seem to ignore the fact that scons can easily generate VS.NET projects.

I'm not ignoring it - I'm not aware of it. And also, I don't quite
believe it until I see it.

> But there is no technical reason why it has to be so. I work on several
> portable projects, and they use the same build process under both Windows and
> Unix, while retaining full Visual Studio integration (I myself am a Visual
> Studio user).

Well, as long "F6" works...

> Well, you came up with a maintenance problem: you told me that building more
> external modules needs more effort. In a well-configured and fully-automated
> build system, when you add a file you have to write its name only one time in a
> project description file; if you want to build a dynamic library, you have to
> add a single line. This would take care of both Windows and UNIX, both
> compilation, packaging and installation.

I very much doubt this is possible. For some modules, you also need to
create autoconf fragments on Unix, for example, and you need might need
to specify different libraries on different systems.

Regards,
Martin