pythonXX.dll size: please split CJK codecs out

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 21 16:38:10 EDT 2005

Ron Adam wrote:
> I would put the starting minimum boundary as:
>
>    1. "The minimum required to start the python interpreter with no
> additional required files."
>
> Currently python 2.4 (on windows) does not yet meet that guideline, so
> it seems some modules still need to be added while other modules, (I
> haven't checked which), are probably not needed to meet that guideline.

I'm not sure, either, but I *think* python24 won't load any .pyd file
on interactive startup.

> This could be extended to:
>
>    2. "The minimum required to run an agreed upon set of simple Python
> programs."
>
> I expect there may be a lot of differing opinions on just what those
> minimum Python programs should be.  But that is where the PEP process
> comes in.

As I mentioned earlier, there also should be a negative list: modules
that depend on external libraries should not be incorporated into
python24.dll. Most notably, this rules out zlib.pyd, _bsddb.pyd,
and _ssl.pyd, all of which people may consider to be useful into these
simple programs.

Regards,
Martin