Art of Unit Testing

Benjamin Niemann pink at odahoda.de
Wed Aug 3 15:19:42 EDT 2005

Michael Hoffman wrote:

> Benjamin Niemann wrote:
>> Christoph Zwerschke wrote:

>>>So I think it would have been better that "unittest" had been named
>>>"PUnit" to make clear that it is a JUnit port and to allow a more
>>>pythonic testing framework to be added to the Python's standard lib.
>>

>> It was called PyUnit before it was integrated into the stdlib. Dunno why
>> it was renamed...
>
> unittest describes exactly what it does.
>
> pyunit says that it is in Python (duh), and that it has something to do
> with units, which could be a whole number of things.

XUnit (with X being the preferred prefix for the programming language) is a
common and wellknown name for a certain kind of unittesting framework. Of
course there are some people around who know what unittesting is but never
heard of JUnit and it decendents. But a quick textsearch on the TOC of the
library reference would reveal it.
Anyway, it too late now.

> I'm thankful that logging is called logging as well, rather than log4py.

If someone is heavily using log4j and thinks about moving to Python, she
will be happy to see that her preferred logging API is available for Python
without even leaving the TOC of the library reference. log4X is a similar
case as XUnit.
(Is logging an implementation of the log4X API? Never used log4X...)

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de