The ONLY thing that prevents me from using Python

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Wed Aug 24 10:02:41 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 09:49:01AM +0100, Richie Hindle wrote:

> [Chris]
> > Not to be a shill, but I'd be interested in testimonials on
> > http://linode.org/
> > I wonder if virtualization is the next killer app.
> > Certainly blows the WTF my ISP? question away...
>
> I can't speak for linode.org, but I have a Xen VPS from rimuhosting.com
> and it's early days but so far I've been very impressed.  It's $19/mo
> (normally $20 but they kindly gave me a 5% Open Source Developer discount)
> which is not that much more than a decent shared hosting account.  You
> need to be comfortable with administering your own Linux box, but these
> days that's not difficult.  (NB. entrian.com is not running on it yet.)

I cannot comment on linode as I'm not a customer. The info on the website
seems ok. But the prices are somehow laughable: I'm currently paying
EUR39 for a dedicated host (with at least 200GB traffic, I'd had to look it up
60GB "storage", 256MB RAM and a 2.4GHz P4 CPU all alone to me).

That makes the 79.95 dollars for "Linode 256" somehow a bit expensive.
OTOH perhaps dedicated servers are really cheap in Germany ;)

Whatever, Andreas