Reg python nature.

Rick Wotnaz desparn at wtf.com
Tue Aug 23 09:50:35 EDT 2005

praba kar <prabapython at yahoo.co.in> wrote in
news:mailman.3406.1124784769.10512.python-list at python.org:

> Dear All,
>    I want to know the link between c and python.
> Some people with C background use Python instead
> of  programming in C.why?

I will now reveal the secret that explains why some people who know
how to program in C use Python instead: because they want to.

The primary Python implementation is written in C, and makes use of
C library functions. C applications are also written in C and make
use of C library functions. So *there* is a link.

Here are some possible reasons for using Python instead of C:

* Some C programmers do not enjoy all aspects of C (such as
managing dynamic allocation and deallocation of data structures),
and prefer the higher-level abstraction of Python for routine
tasks.

* Sometimes extremely high performance is not an issue (probably
most times), so the language choice becomes one of deciding which
is more convenient. Generally, that would be Python.

* Systems that must last for long periods of time will often
require maintenance, and the clarity of Python code makes it easier
to maintain than C equivalents in many cases. The actual code size
is often smaller, and making changes requires fewer additional
lines of code. This all adds up to a substantial maintenance
advantage.

* Many programmers use more languages than just one. Python is a
good general-purpose language that is quite reasonable to choose as
an alternative (or addition) to C. For those coming from a C
background, learning the basics of Python syntax is quite easy.
Those who have habitually used pseudocode to describe their program
concepts may find it even easier to pick up Python.

I hope at least one of these points addresses your question. I
don't know that your subject line, referring to the nature of
Python, is actually very close to the question itself, though.
Programmers with a background in any other language will need to
reach an understanding of Python's true nature before they can use
it comfortably. The same is true when learning any other language;
the language's true nature reveals itself with enough use.

--
rzed