Language translation possible in python?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Aug 26 22:27:58 EDT 2005

On Friday 26 August 2005 04:15 pm, Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Jon Monteleone" <uomart at ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> news:003301c5a972$21bd30e0$5700a8c0 at rmse...
> >I have a program that currently displays all of its messages and
> >instructions in only
> > English.  My boss wants me to change it all to Korean.  Is there a python
> > module that will
> > automatically translate my English to Korean?
>
> You could write something that autosubmitted things to a translation site
> like babelfish, Or just catenate all strings into one text and submit that.

That would be silly, though. ;-)

> There is a system (that I have not used) for internaionalizing code that
> keeps messages to be translated in a separate resource file.  Name excapes
> me at the moment though.

I think you are looking for gettext.  Check out the gettext module in Python,
and do a little googling for "I18N" / "Internationalization" and/or
"L14N" / "Localization" .  That will probably turn up some how-tos for dealing
with po files, etc.

If you really want to throw caution to the wind and trust an auto-translation
site instead of just finding someone who speaks fluent Korean and enough
English, then you *could* send each of the statements in the *po* file
through the translator and collect the responses.

But if your boss wants this; you can ask the question here; and you can
understand your boss, then you must have *someone* in your
organization who speaks both languages, surely?

Cheers,
Terry