Question

Adam Tomjack adamtj at adamtj.org
Sun Aug 28 19:29:22 EDT 2005

Double clicking python.exe will give you the command line version.  To
run IDLE, click Start -> Programs -> Python 2.x -> IDLE.

pythonw.exe is useful for running GUI scripts.  In Windows there are two
types of programs: command line and gui programs.  python.exe is the
command line version.  Suppose you write a Tk or a wxWindows program
with python and you save it to a file.  You can still use python.exe to
run that gui program, but it'll open an extra black window with nothing
in it.  That's what pythonw.exe is for.  It can't give you a command
line (which is why it disappears right away when you double click it),
but it also doesn't open than extra window when you use it to run a gui
application.

Adam