GUI tookit for science and education

Adriaan Renting renting at astron.nl
Wed Aug 17 11:19:16 EDT 2005

Well, I don't think you want to write everything in HTML, but you can
certainly have a program in Python/perl/PHP/ASP/java that outputs your
user interface in HTML on one side, and maybe talks to Matlab or Root on
the otherside to do the actual science/generate the images.
I wouldn't advice Excel+VBA, unless it's the only thing you have.

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
news:7xek8vsxua.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
>Mateusz £oskot <see.my at signature.net> writes:
>>Thank you for any piece of advice in advance.
>
>Ask yourself why you want a GUI toolkit.  Maybe you can write a web
>application instead, and use a browser as the GUI.  That's a lot
>easier to write (just use html), and makes it trivial to run the
>application and the browser on separate machines.

Wow Paul!
I just couldn't help zeroing on that comment.
   >a lot easier to write (just use html),

I would have used adjectives like "clunky" and "limited" when talking
about
using an html in a browser app.  Particularly if we are talking about
high
powered math/graphs as we often are in the science apps indicated in the

original post.

I would take MS Excel/VBA as the premier fat client prototyping tool/GUI

toolkit for science & education.  How would one go about replicating any
of
that in an HTML/browser app?  How do we get to "easier to write"?

   >Ask yourself why you want a GUI toolkit.
I just did.  The answer is that I don't *think* you can do much of that
with
html.

Then again - I was wrong once :-)
-Tom