Parsing a log file

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Sun Aug 14 17:11:21 EDT 2005

Completly untested:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys, datetime

user = sys.argv[1]

starttime = None
for l in sys.stdin:
    flds = l.strip().split()
    datestr, timestr, prog, op, to, sname = flds
    month, day, year = [int(x) for x in datestr.split("-", 2)]
    hour, min, sec, ms = [int(x) for x in timestr.split(":")]
    timestamp = datetime.datetime(year, month, day, hour, min, sec)
    if op == 'CONNECTED':
        assert starttime is None
        starttime = timestamp
    elif op == 'DISCONNECTED':
        assert starttime is not None
        endtime = timestamp
        sql = "insert into data (start, end, user) value (%r, %r, %r);"
        print sql % (starttime, endtime, user)
    else:
        raise AssertationError("%r is not a valid line" % l)