Python -- (just) a successful experiment?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Mon Aug 8 16:49:45 EDT 2005

Bengt Richter wrote:

> It occurs to me that we have the PEP process for core python, but no PEP process
> for the python app/lib environment. What about starting a PEEP process
> (Python Environment Enhancement Proposals) modeled on PEPs, where those motivated
> to formalize their pet projects or feature requests could collaborate to create
> a spec to document and guide development?

I already see the headline: PEEP is the answer - PSF votes for software
patents. All ideas are written down by volunteers in great detail they
just have to be coded. Due to intellectual property rights PSF becomes
one of the richest organizations in the world. Guido van Rossum,
chairman of PSF and mighty governor of California recommends an
invasion into Iran: "we cannot accept that they didn't payed us for a
PEEP describing a steering mechism for a nuclear power station to be
written in Python. They are dangerous. They didn't have our
commitment." Mr. van Rossum also commented the unfriendly takeover of
the former software giant Microsoft that was immediately renamed into
"Snakeoil Corp." succinctly: "They had a platform we were interested
in".

Yes, the Python experiment was (not just) successfull.

Kay