Wheel-reinvention with Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Aug 2 01:14:50 EDT 2005

Paul McNett <p at ulmcnett.com> writes:

> On Windows and Mac, you download the package and run through the wizard.

Which package? I'm looking at the sourceforge download site, and don't
see any packages for Python 2.4 on OS X 10.4. In fact, I don't see any
packages for 10.4 at all. IIRC, they didn't have a 2.4 package last
time I looked. I may download the 10.3 one and see if it works.

> Admittedly, installing from source is more difficult than any other
> project I've found, but still doable.

Well, I've got a long history of installing things from source - going
back to v6. On OS X, I like the darwin ports stuff, so I tried that:

% sudo port install wxpython

It blew up trying to compile wxpython. The multitude of dependencies
all seemed to build find. Building wxpython from the source
distribution by hand doesn't seem to fair any better.

Could be that it's 10.4 problem that hasn't been diagnosed yet.

We'll see if the FreeBSD port works any better.

      <mike

P.S. - no, this isn't just a theoretical exercise. I want to play with
THE, and that's been rewritten from it's Mac-only version to use the
Python wxWidgets wrapper. It's mostly curiosity, so I'm not willing to
work very hard on it. If the dependencies will build out of the box -
cool. If not - I have lots of other things to do.