Wheel-reinvention with Python

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Tue Aug 2 01:30:32 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> Paul McNett <p at ulmcnett.com> writes:
>
>>On Windows and Mac, you download the package and run through the wizard.
>
> Which package? I'm looking at the sourceforge download site, and don't
> see any packages for Python 2.4 on OS X 10.4. In fact, I don't see any
> packages for 10.4 at all. IIRC, they didn't have a 2.4 package last
> time I looked. I may download the 10.3 one and see if it works.

I can confirm that the 10.3 one works on Tiger. I think that Robin
doesn't have a Tiger machine to build on yet, which is why there's no
package for it. Perhaps more information is at the wxPython download
site (not the Sourceforge one) at:

http://wxpython.org/download.php

>>Admittedly, installing from source is more difficult than any other
>>project I've found, but still doable.
>
> Well, I've got a long history of installing things from source - going
> back to v6. On OS X, I like the darwin ports stuff, so I tried that:
>
> % sudo port install wxpython
>
> It blew up trying to compile wxpython. The multitude of dependencies
> all seemed to build find. Building wxpython from the source
> distribution by hand doesn't seem to fair any better.

To build wxPython from source, you really need to follow Robin's
detailed instructions in BUILD.txt, located somewhere in the source tree
(I have to look for it every time, but I think it is in
wxSrc/wxPython/docs/BUILD.txt). It isn't difficult but there's more to
it than the standard ./configure;make;make install.

> P.S. - no, this isn't just a theoretical exercise. I want to play with
> THE, and that's been rewritten from it's Mac-only version to use the
> Python wxWidgets wrapper. It's mostly curiosity, so I'm not willing to
> work very hard on it. If the dependencies will build out of the box -
> cool. If not - I have lots of other things to do.

I think you'll find that wxPython installs perfectly on Tiger using the
package provided. Indeed, the only really painful platform to install
wxPython on is Linux, where you pretty much need to build from source if
you want the latest and greatest.

--
Paul McNett
http://paulmcnett.com