GUI tookit for science and education

Thomas Bartkus thomasbartkus at comcast.net
Wed Aug 17 10:50:43 EDT 2005

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
news:7xek8vsxua.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> Mateusz £oskot <see.my at signature.net> writes:
> > Thank you for any piece of advice in advance.
>
> Ask yourself why you want a GUI toolkit.  Maybe you can write a web
> application instead, and use a browser as the GUI.  That's a lot
> easier to write (just use html), and makes it trivial to run the
> application and the browser on separate machines.

Wow Paul!
I just couldn't help zeroing on that comment.
    > a lot easier to write (just use html),

I would have used adjectives like "clunky" and "limited" when talking about
using an html in a browser app.  Particularly if we are talking about high
powered math/graphs as we often are in the science apps indicated in the
original post.

I would take MS Excel/VBA as the premier fat client prototyping tool/GUI
toolkit for science & education.  How would one go about replicating any of
that in an HTML/browser app?  How do we get to "easier to write"?

    > Ask yourself why you want a GUI toolkit.
I just did.  The answer is that I don't *think* you can do much of that with
html.

Then again - I was wrong once :-)
-Tom