Jargons of Info Tech industry

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Thu Aug 25 13:43:27 EDT 2005

"T Beck" <Tracy.Beck at Infineon.com> wrote:

> If we argue that people are evolving the way e-mail is handled, and
> adding entire new feature sets to something which has been around
> since the earliest days of the internet, then that's perfectly
> feasable. HTML itself has grown.  We've also added Javascript and
> Shockwave.

They are not additions to HTML, like PNG is no addition to HTML, or wav,
mp3, etc.

> The websites of today don't even resemble the websites of
> 10 years ago,

Depends a lot on what site you visit. You can make a website of 10 years
ago look modern with roughly the same HTML of 10 years ago, and a style
sheet. (E.g. visit: http://johnbokma.com/ and turn off the stylesheet. And
there are way better examples)

> e-mail of today only remotely resembles the original, so

Because there is no real alternative to email? If there was, email would
have died, at least for me, long ago.

> the argument that usenet should never change seems a little
> heavy-handed and anachronistic.

No, simple since there *are* alternatives: web based message boards. Those
alternatives *do* support HTML formatting (often the subset mentioned
earlier). However, Usenet is a stranger to most people on the Internet,
even with Usenet access, and hence, there is no real reason to see it
changed into something that is "available" for years and years to more
people: www.

--
John                   Small Perl scripts: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
               Perl programmer available:     http://castleamber.com/