What are modules really for?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Aug 12 21:07:09 EDT 2005

Magnus Lycka <lycka at carmen.se> writes:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>> However, everything is an instance of a class or type.
> Except whitespace, comments, operators and statements!
> (Did I miss anything?)

What makes you think operators qualify as exceptions?

>>> type(operator.add)
<type 'builtin_function_or_method'>

If you're talking about the character used to represent that operator
- well, I don't think there's any way to derive the underlying object
from that character.

In fact, that's true for everything else you list. Maybe the properly
refined version of Terry's statement should be:

        Everything you can manipulate is an instance of a class or a
        type.

       <mike