Wheel-reinvention with Python

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon Aug 15 08:58:37 EDT 2005

Brian Victor <homeusenet at brianhv.org> wrote:
> jbperez808 at yahoo.com wrote:
> > Torsten Bronger wrote:
> >> I've been having a closer look at wxPython which is not Pythonic at
> >> all and bad documented.  Probably I'll use it nevertheless.
> > Aye.  Couldn't agree more.
>
> You know, whenever someone mentions wxPython being badly documented,
> I have to wonder whether they know about the nearly 2000 page PDF of
> wxWidgets documentation, which is available in html at
> http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.6.1/wx_contents.html

All of which is oriented toward C++ programmers, with all the language
assumptions inherent to that.

> wxPython has the same API as wxWidgets, except where indicated in
> that manual.  If in doubt, you can also consult
> http://wxpython.org/docs/api/

That being part of the problem. Putting pieces together in C++ is
quite a different mindset to putting them together in Python.

> I apologize if you already know about these things, but I find
> myself continually surprised that "wxPython is badly documented" has
> become conventional wisdom when I have never found that to be the
> case.

Quantity of documentation doesn't equal quality.

That said, the wxPython 2.6 release saw a renewed push toward getting
comprehensive API documentation online; it's coming together, slowly.
It still feels like wxPython is a second-class citizen in the wx
world.

--
 \       "I was the kid next door's imaginary friend."  -- Emo Philips |
Ben Finney <http://www.benfinney.id.au/>