Wheel-reinvention with Python

David E. Konerding DSD staff dek at bosshog.lbl.gov
Mon Aug 15 10:47:28 EDT 2005

In article <ddq3ht$idh$1 at rose.polar.local>, Ben Finney wrote:
> Brian Victor <homeusenet at brianhv.org> wrote:
>> jbperez808 at yahoo.com wrote:
>> > Aye.  Couldn't agree more.
>>
>> You know, whenever someone mentions wxPython being badly documented,
>> I have to wonder whether they know about the nearly 2000 page PDF of
>> wxWidgets documentation, which is available in html at
>> http://www.wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.6.1/wx_contents.html
>
> All of which is oriented toward C++ programmers, with all the language
> assumptions inherent to that.

Actually, the real problem with the wxWidgets documentation is that it doesn't tell you
*how* to do things.  It does only a barely adequate job as an API reference, but what it lacks is
an extensive howto.  I waste too much of my time dinking around deep in wxPython demos trying to figure out
what is the 'right way' to do things.

See:
http://www.async.com .br/faq/pygtk/index.py?req=index

for an example of what's needed.

The wxPython Wiki is poorly organized (like nearly all wikis).  It's mandatory reading (all of it) but
mainly because it's not obvious where important hints are hidden.

Dave